Birth Story....Part Two

After being given Cervadil, the hours seemed to go by so slow. Abdullah arrived back at the hospital with my hospital bag and necessities. While waiting it out Omar and Walid (my brother in-laws) showed up at the hospital to wish us good luck. To help time pass we started playing cards. Soon after we started, around 7 a clock, my head nurse rushed into the room. She stated that her beeper went off because the babies heart rate had dropped. Significantly. His heart rate should be between 140-160 and it had dropped down to 80 and stayed there for about 90 seconds. Once he had recovered his heart rate to a normal speed all was good. She had to explanation as to why it dropped but she just knew that we need to monitor it closely. About 10 minutes later she rushed in again. His heart rate dropped again. And again 15 minutes after that. By this point we were very concerned.

Our Doctor came into the room to give some sort of explanation. He felt that Jordan was having some sort of reaction to the cervadil and he was concerned for how long this could go on. Because I was not dialated at all, the doctor explained that he wanted to go in for an emergency C-Section. This caused me to become teary eyed. I never thought that I would have a C-Section. I read books on labor and researched so much on line but never did I educate myself on C-Sections. (Dumb on my part, I know) I knew that I wanted to try for a natural labor but never did it occur to me that something would go wrong and I would need a C-Section. Naïve, I know.


I asked the doctor how long I had because I really wanted to take a shower…. the things women think about. He said that he was taking me in 5 minutes. 5 minutes? Abdullah started calling family members to let them know and the next thing I knew, I was being wheeled to the C-Section wing where I was prepped for surgery. At around 9:00 pm I was wheeled into the surgery room. I was given a Spinal to numb my body. I laid on my back and waited for it to kick in. The next 45 minutes went by so fast. I remember feeling really loopy and wanting to fall asleep. As the surgery progressed, I was so happy to have my Husband there. He kept petting my head and reassuring me that I would soon be holding my baby boy. Sure enough at 9:54 Jordan Lawrenz Quttaineh was born. He weighed 8 pounds even and was 20.5 inches tall. The moment that Abdullah put the baby in front of me and we locked eyes, is a moment that I will never forget.




Comments

Popular Posts