One Woman's journey through motherhood and all things related.

One Woman's journey through motherhood and all things related.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Birth Story....Part One

On August 30th, at 8:30am, we went in for our 40 week appointment. I was 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant and the appointment started out just as any other. My weight was up, blood pressure was normal and I was neither dilated nor effaced. After hearing that I had no signs or symptoms of labor in sight the Doctor wanted to do an Ultrasound to check our baby’s positioning and movement. The ultrasound showed a big boy in perfect positioning and he seemed to be pretty comfortable and complacent. The Doctor ordered for us to do a NST (Non Stress Test) which monitors the baby’s heart rate against any movement in my uterus. After 45 minutes of being strapped to this machine the doctor walks in and says that he has decided that he would like for us to go to the hospital today to start the birthing process. I was shocked. Originally we had decided to wait it out as long as we could before we started an induction. That was 41 weeks at our office and we still had 3 days! I did not want to force baby Jordan out before he was ready; I knew that he would come on his own time. However, the Doc did not want to wait.
Because I was not effaced at all, the process to ripen my cervix could take several days to complete. It could even be 3-4 days before we actually start laboring and because he did not think I would efface enough on my own by Friday, waiting was not in the cards. He also stated that because I was going in for an induction that my risk of having a C-Section would go up. I already knew this and had starting to tear up. Since day one I had wanted to have a natural birth with no medication. I had everything planned out and I did not even want to hear the words “C-Section”. It was just not in my birth plan.
We were ordered to go straight to Winnie Palmer Hospital and were told not to make any stops on the way. So, at around 10:15 Abdullah dropped me off and he drove home to grab our hospital bag. I was ushered straight to a Labor and Delivery room where I changed into a hospital gown.  
At around 1:30 pm the nurse came gave me my first dose of cervadil & the next few hours went by extremely slow. I did not feel any different and kept thinking that I was rushed into coming to the hospital too early. In all honesty, I would have rather been at work. Then the Nurse came in and told me to relax and to look at this as a mini vacation because I was going to be here for a while. Great……

Part 2 coming shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Hope you are LOVING mommyhood! I'd love to see pictures of your little munchkin! Just wanted to pop by and let you know that you have won 25 Shutterfly Christmas cards on my blog! If you could just email me, I'll send you out your code! Yeah!! mrscresswell at hotmail dot com